Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 90

It truly was a spectacular fall day. The leaves are turning colors already and the temperature was in the 70s. David went off to opera rehearsals so Louise and I motored north to a wild flower sale and preserve to look at plants for their yard. She and David are so knowledgeable. They recognize the various strains and know just what is needed to attract butterflies, bees, and birds at various times of the year. I looked on and held plants while Louise made choices and discussed her plans with various naturalists. We then took a long walk through a woods of tall oaks, hickories, beeches and other trees I couldn't identify. Just perfect - now if I just didn't huff and puff going up hill!

A quick alfresco lunch and we were off to the Moravian Tile Works. This factory was founded 100+ years ago in Bucks County. Of course the rolling green countryside studded with horse farms and woodlands made the trip a delight. The tile factory was very interesting. Set in a poured concrete building in a Spanish cloister style, the factory retains the old methods of stamping and forming clay tiles. They have a wonderful "mosaic" style which actually resembles stain glass work except in clay to make medallions and pictures. Very nice and a bit pricey but they would add color to the outside of a home or against a plain wall. Home again and then the three of us headed for dinner at an Indian restaurant. Yummy food of which I ate too much.

This evening I finalized my plans for the next couple of days in Pennsylvania and then my route through Virginia over the next couple of weeks. I have a lot of territory to cover and a lot of people to find in the 1730-1800 time period. I will try to finish grants tomorrow so I can hit the ground running on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment