Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 56

Today was an eclectic day. I started with some grant work for District 20. I then left Wakefield, MA and tackled driving into Boston. Now I admit I only got as far as Charlestown but figured Sunday was my best shot for looking at some of the graveyards without getting overwhelmed in traffic. I found the Phipps Burying Ground but the gate was locked. I now have to call the Parks Department and figure out when and how I can get into it.

From there I headed to Malden and managed to locate the Bell Rock Cemetery. I found Michael Wigglesworth and his wife Martha. Michael was the brother of Abigail - wife of Benjamin Sweetser, Sr. Finally in the last section of the cemetery, I also found Benjamin Sweetser II and his wife Elizabeth, plus a brother and a few assorted other relations. If you remember (or care) Benjamin II was the grandfather of Abigail Sweetser who married John Tukey. He and Elizabeth are our 7g grandparents. Benjamin IIs grave stone is in very poor shape. I am not sure it can be repaired but the other graves are holding up well.




After a quick lunch it was on to Lexington and Concord. The National Parks again have done a wonderful job. I had a private tour from a ranger as we walked from the visitor's center to the old north bridge and and Minuteman Statue. Then I drove to the opposite end of the park for a 1/2 hour film on the Battle of Lexington and a musket firing demonstration.
Fiona and I managed to then find Acton, MA where I am now ensconced with cousins Doug, Cynthia and Emily. I will do a quick tour of Boston tomorrow and then settle in for long research sessions when the NE Genealogical Soc library opens on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment