Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 75

The sky is leaking here in CT, as it has been most of the day. I am sure it is worse in NC. I hope Karl, Anne, Carl, Cathy and Rick are all surviving the wet and the wind from Earl.

This morning I decided to tour the seaport village of Mystic Seaport. I learned lots about ship building, being a cooper, and I am becoming knowlegable on the various types of houses and ships that made up our ancestors' lives between 1650 and 1900. One of the most interesting exhibit was the Whaler the Charles Morgan. It is in dry dock for 3 years being overhauled and refurbished. It is impressive to see the huge wooden ship out of water, walk through the area where they are making the masts and spars, and actually get a chance to go aboard and explore the Morgan while they work on her.


After leaving this outdoor exhibit, the rest of the day was spent doing errands, some window shopping and a movie. I just didn't want to go back to the hotel room. It was a relaxing day. Tomorrow I have to settle in and start some grant writing and do some setup for my research in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Hopefully, the rain will let up so I can do some more exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment